Patent law has been with us for a long time. Its first use dates back 228 years ago. If you have an invention you want to protect, hiring a patent attorney to help with your application can make a big difference. While it is true that anyone can file their own patent application with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), they receive more than 500,000 applications every year. While it may seem like a process where a patent lawyer is not needed, here are reasons to get one on board before you apply:
- The process is very complicated. It may seem like the process to file for a patent should be easy but it is not. There are a number of factors that are considered before a patent application is approved. Patent attorneys understand the ins and outs of the process and know what the people at the USPTO are looking for in order to approve patent applications.
- Hiring a patent lawyer will save you time. People who work in law firms that handle patent issues are experts in this area. They can cut through a lot of the process just by knowing how this system works. This will free up your time to do what you do best.
- They can help you after the patent has been approved. Patent work does not always end when the patent application is approved. Many people who have received a patent for their hard work find they need to defend it at some point. Just because you have a patent for your invention does not mean other nefarious people and organizations may try to sell your idea or creation. In these cases, you need a patent lawyer to help defend your work.
- Patent attorneys can help you draft the application itself. There are a lot of things that need to be considered when filing a patent application. They can draft the application in a way that eliminates any loopholes you may leave that can let people who want to make money from your product infringe in your patent protection. A patent does you no good if smaller issues can be exploited for someone else’s benefit.
- They know about updates to intellectual property law. Like other processes within the federal government, the rules, regulations, and even laws that govern intellectual property change on a fairly regular basis. You may not be up to date on what the current state of these is but your patent lawyer will be. That can really make a difference in the success or failure of your patent application.
- Patent law experts can offer you tips for the registration of your patent. There are a lot of areas and niches where patents make sense. There are 12 industries where patent applications are the most used. Only 50% of the patent applications from these industries are approved. Your patent attorney can help guide you to draft a patent application that will succeed.
- They can help you on the international scene. Many patents need to include protection around the globe. Many people who file their own patent applications do not take the international implications of their invention. Patent attorneys can work to get you the protection you need around the world.
- They can tell you if your patent application is viable. Not every new product is a good candidate for patent protection. There are a number of criteria that need to be met for an invention to be able to receive a patent. You may not know what the criteria are but a good patent lawyer will. This can be one of the best reasons to hire a patent lawyer to help review your idea and plan for a patent application.
- They know the jargon. When you are filing for a patent, there are a lot of technical terms you use depending on the kind of invention you have. There is also legal terminology you will need to use in the patent application itself.
Hiring a patent attorney to help with your application to the USPTO can be one of the best things you do for your invention. It will save you time, money, and stress.